New Hampshire Homeschool Laws

General Overview of the Homeschooling Laws in New Hampshire

Children in New Hampshire must attend school between the ages of 6 (if they reach that age before September 30 of the current school year) and 18. They can also be exempt from attending a school if they have graduated. If graduating before the age of 18, children can submit a certificate or letter to the New Hampshire Department of Education.

Find out more about homeschool laws in New Hampshire:

To homeschool your child, they must fall within this age range. You must also contact the local school superintendent, keep a portfolio of your child’s work, and have an annual evaluation.

Notification of Intent to Homeschool in New Hampshire

When you start homeschooling, you must send a letter of notification to the school superintendent before the school year starts, if you are withdrawing your child from a public school between years, or your child is not attending public school at all. If you are withdrawing your child from a public school during the school year, you must notify the school and superintendent within 5 days of withdrawing your child. You should send the notification of intent and also keep a copy for yourself.

We have stated that you should notify the resident district superintendent, but you can also notify the commissioner of education or non-public school principal. We recommend going with the superintendent.

Your notification should include the name, address, and date of birth of your child, the name and address of any parents/guardians, a contact number, and the date on which the homeschooling will start.

Once you have sent your initial letter, it is expected that you are going to homeschool each year after and do not need to send a letter of intent for every year which you are homeschooling.

Qualifications Required to Homeschool in New Hampshire

There are no parent/guardian qualifications needed to teach your child in the state of New Hampshire. You are responsible for what you teach your child and how you teach them. There are also no standardized tests needed to display that your child is gaining knowledge, but we recommend that you keep track of your child’s progress to show your local school board.

Number of Days/Hours of Instruction Required for Homeschoolers in New Hampshire

Business times concept people walking overlay with time clock

There are no laws governing the amount of instruction which you need to give to your child each year. When you start the year, you may have to come up with a plan detailing what you are teaching your child and when but there are no laws governing how much tuition time you give to your child.

What Subjects Need to be Covered in Home Education (and for how long) in New Hampshire?

New Hampshire law has no formal requirements when it comes to what subjects you teach your child, but you may be required to come up with a learning plan each year to describe what you are going to teach your child.

You are not required to teach any specific subjects in any given year.

What are the Recordkeeping Requirements for Homeschoolers in New Hampshire?

Parents are required to keep a portfolio of their child’s work each year and keep these records for two years. The portfolio is the property of the parents and does not need to be submitted if requested by the superintendent or district for review.

This portfolio should keep a log of all reading materials used by your child and a record of the child’s work related to the homeschooling curriculum. There are no guidelines to dictate how much work should be in the portfolio but it is handy for evaluation purposes, and it is recommended that you have two pages for each subject inserted at three different times of the year (six pages total for each subject).

You are also required to have your child evaluated each year. There are a few methods for evaluation, and the portfolio can be handy in these circumstances. A certified teacher can evaluate your child. Your child can also take a national student achievement test. Your child can also be evaluated in any other way which the parents and the superintendent/school board agree upon at the start of the homeschool year.

You should then keep this evaluation on file should you need to prove that your child is learning as a homeschooler.

Is Part-time Enrollment Permitted in New Hampshire?

Enroll Sign Up Register Road Word Registration 3d Illustration

Yes. Under New Hampshire education law, your child can be partially enrolled in public school. This means that your child can take regular school classes as part of their homeschooling education and can split their time between home and school (as long as the school offers this).

Homeschoolers are also eligible to participate in extracurricular activities in public schools. Any homeschoolers who live with a disability are also eligible for services through their local public school (the same services which students with disabilities would receive if they were enrolled in public school).

You should submit a letter of intent if you wish for your child to participate in any public school programs.

Are Homeschoolers Permitted to Participate in Extracurricular Activities in New Hampshire?

Yes, and it is encouraged. Homeschool children are permitted to participate in any other extracurricular activities, whether it be with a public school or another organization.

To receive more information about the homeschooling laws in the State of New Hampshire, you may want to visit the Christian Home Educators of New Hampshire website.

Leave a Comment